Prescott Bike Festival


With this year’s event heralding the ninth year of the Prescott Motorcycle Festival, Dave Manning takes a trip into Gloucestershire to find out more.

In 1937, thanks to the objections being made by the general public as to the noise and disturbance caused by motor racing at various venues, the Bugatti Owners’ Club bought Prescott House and its estate, with the thoughts being that, with their very own venue, they could create their own hillclimb course without any objections from landowners and nearby residents.

‘Spring-heeled Jack’, the 1927 Velocette KSS, so named due to the experimental rear suspension system that was fitted.

Since the first race meeting on April 10, 1938, the venue has been developed from its original 880-yard format, with the ‘long course’ introduced in 1967, being the 1170-yard track that is used at the Bike Festival.

Started in 2011, the Prescott Bike Festival has a prime drive of raising money for the Severn Freewheelers, a group who offer a motorcycle-based free delivery service to the NHS, transferring blood, tissue samples, documentation and other vital medical supplies between hospitals, hospices and supply centres throughout Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire and North Wiltshire.

Read more and view more images in the August 2019 issue of OBM – on sale now!

Enjoy more Old Bike Mart reading in the monthly paper. Click here to subscribe.

Comments

comments