With an active worldwide membership and a nicely produced monthly journal entitled The Star, the BSA Owners’ Club, which can trace its roots to the first organising group in Sheffield in 1958, reaches its 60th anniversary this year.
That first group was quickly followed by branches in Nottingham, Birmingham and Surrey, but even by 1960 there was no effective national cohesion, with eight or nine branches all operating different rules and subscription rates.
A National Committee with limited powers had been set up, but its main task seemed to be keeping each individual BSA club in contact with the rest.
In the cause of unity, the national magazine The Star was first published in January 1961, but it wasn’t until an Extraordinary General Meeting was convened in October 1962 that overwhelming support finally came for a National BSA Owners’ Club.
Read more in the April 2018 issue of OBM – on sale now!Enjoy more Old Bike Mart reading in the monthly paper. Click here to subscribe.