With the excesses of the season behind us, and the January sales well under way, we thought it might be a good time for a little light-hearted entertainment with a new year quiz. Collated by Mick Payne, it’s a sort of sidecar-focused ‘Mustymind’.
There are no prizes, just a few sidecar-oriented questions to test your knowledge of the subject. I’m sure some may find it very easy, although I hope it will test many.
I’ve compiled it without using the internet, just using it to confirm a few points and really hope it will be completed sans computer.
Enjoy more Old Bike Mart reading in the monthly newspaper.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Answers in the January edition of OBM – on sale now!
- What famous manufacturer was responsible for the Gloria model sidecar?
- Designed primarily as a luxury sidecar hauler, whose machine featured an Austin 7 engine and gearbox with twin rear wheels? (see pic 1)
- Who are the two famous characters in pic 2? One is a co-driver.
- Fred Watson founded what company in 1912?
- Watsonian’s popular Meteor model was based on what Second World War item? (see pic 3)
- What year was the first Sidecar TT? (see pic 4)
- When and where was the first sidecar designed?
- Initially Clyno sidecar outfits were fitted with Vickers machine guns in the First World War. What was the military unit called?
- From what country do Dusting sidecars come from?
- What prestigious car manufacturer started out building sidecars?
- A Sidecar is also a popular cocktail. What are the ingredients?
- Who set a Sidecar World Land Speed Record in 1972 with a Triumph Trident?
- What was often credited with the demise of the motorcycle combination?
- Watsonian lost an important contract in 1981 that caused their contraction. What were they making?
- Who make the Sidecar Triple Duty?
- The Birchall Brothers set a new lap speed at this year’s TT. Was it sub-18, sub-19 or sub-20 minutes?
- First used in 1919 with Chater Lee, Triumph and BSA motorcycles, whose Road Service Outfits patrolled the roads?
- TV episode ‘Not Yet, He Ain’t’ in 1966 saw a Harley outfit ridden by which hero?
- What was the ambitious Canterbury Belle?
- During 1934/35 Theresa Wallach (pic 5) and Florence Blenkiron rode a Panther and sidecar from London to where? The first ladies in the world to do so.
- Bonus question, why do you ride one?